Friday 17 April 2020

Virtual Friday Forum 3

We can’t meet at Paxton but we can see what our members have been up to in their gardens.

Judith shows us some of her plants:


 Euphorbia amygdaloids 'Forest Flame' taken at interval of 6 days in between pics.
 Seeds growing in my spare bedroom - whatever will I do with them?

 A lovely erysimum (perennial wallflower) but unfortunately I do not know which one.


Hellebore from Dove Cottage with pachyphragma (white) and a nice white allium - Ann Fritchley will know which one!



Self-seeded euphorbia polychroma (one of the best) along with plant of e.robbiae and hebe James Stirling


 View of my back garden (with blue pots)
























A skimmia bush which is doing really well this year.

This week we would have had a presentation on Hanging Baskets.  However, Norma has made up a Heath Robinson bee friendly hanging basket

1.  As I have no moss, I have lined the basket with old ferns from my garden which luckily I hadn’t cut off. You need quite a lot stop soil getting out. Make sure they come well up above the wire rim.




 2.  I then cut a piece of plastic for the bottom to retain moisture.






3.  I add my soil and plants in layers, so add first layer of soil and push through first layer of plants.


 4.  Cover with soil and keep adding trailing plants.





 5.  Fold on ferns at the top of basket and add remaining plants to i.e. fuschias and fill with soil.




The list of bee 🐝 loving plants and idea came from the Bumblebee Conservation Trust and are as follow;



Brachycombe

Bacopa

Bidens

Nasturtiums

Trailing fuchsias

Until we meet again, can you contribute to our Virtual Friday Forum?



No comments:

Post a Comment